Friday, December 11, 2009

Works for Me

Hey kids! It's been a while. I've been busy with classes and all that, but I finally found some time to write this little "chapter." Sorry, but enjoy!

I pulled on my pajama pants and settled into my bed, a stack of magazines beside me. It’s only 5:30, and I never go to bed this early, but after going out with my friends and sleeping on the couch two nights in a row, I need a little quiet and comfort. I’ll probably just lay here a while, go grab some dinner, and then come back to snooze some more. Just as I was about to pick up my second magazine, a knock came on my bedroom door and Evan entered shortly after. Weird, I hadn’t even heard him come in. He glanced at me, a puzzled expression on his face, before bursting into laughter.

“Uh, that’s what you’re going to wear tonight?” I gave him the same expression as I looked back.

“Well yeah… I’m not going to dress up so I can lounge around my house.”

“Mik,” he began. “We’ve got your family dinner tonight. Remember?” Honestly, I forgot. With all of the big news at work, I had let my family meeting slip my mind. I groaned before getting off my bed. “We don’t have to go…” Evan started.

“Nah, we probably should.” I know just the other day I said that I was getting excited to see my family again, but that feeling changes with every passing minute. Last night I was angry about it, then worried, and right now I’m just upset. Hopefully that will change again before we leave. I took a look at Evan and groaned again when I saw his wardrobe.

“What?” he asked, cautiously looking over his ensemble.

“You look niiiice,” I whined. He shot me a questioning glance, and I finished, “I was just gonna wear a t-shirt. But now I have to dress up too.” I could practically hear him roll his eyes.

“Well, you certainly can’t go looking like that,” he teased. I playfully pushed him out of my room and searched for the perfect outfit. I slipped out of my cozy pajama pants and shivered as a pair of cold dark jeans took their place. I pulled on my deep purple sweater, and slid on my shiny black flats before dashing into my bathroom. I ran a curling iron through my hair and swiped on my eyeliner and mascara. I brushed my teeth before applying some sheer lip gloss and walked into my living room to meet Evan. I smirked as he whistled and let out a “Woooooo, I get to have dinner with that?” He lowered his voice and offered his arm as we headed for the door, “Just kidding, Mik. You look gorgeous.” I shyly thanked him and grabbed a small black purse before strolling into the wintery night.

Even though the sweater I’m wearing is thick and warm, I shuddered as Evan and I walked to his SUV. He immediately turned on the heater and we silently listened to Journey softly coming from his speakers waiting for it to kick on. After a few minutes, I was feeling toasty and closed my eyes, resting my head against the seat. Evan cleared his throat, interrupting the silence. I opened one eye, to find him glancing at me every few seconds before turning his eyes back to the road. “What?”

“How do you think your parents are going to take the news?” I sighed as my mood changed once more, turning me into a child.

“I can’t believe you’re making me do that.”

“Fine,” he grumbled. “Don’t tell them. Whatever.”

“Evan,” I began, but he cut me off.

“You know, they’re going to find out eventually. It might be better just to get it over with. Besides, we’ve been talking about starting a family for months. I can’t believe how… ashamed you are about it now.”

I was taken aback by his statement. Ashamed? That’s such an insulting word to use. I’m not ashamed of starting a family with him. Heck, I don’t even care that I’m pregnant before marriage. I know my mother will, however, and that’s what’s killing me. Of course, my mom shouldn’t officially have a say in what goes on in my household, but she’ll say something anyway. I hate disappointing my parents, and I can already see the look that’s going to be on her face when I give her the news. Besides, there’s a possibility that this baby won’t turn out to be my fiancĂ©’s, so yeah. That might take away from the happy attitude I should have. I pushed that last thought aside, and (somehow) calmly responded to his accusation.

“Evan, honestly? I couldn’t be happier about having this baby. Or starting a family with you. That’s all I’ve wanted to do for a long time.” His harsh features softened a little at my words. “I’m just a little stressed about how my family is going to react, but that doesn’t mean that I’m ashamed at what happened. I really couldn’t be more excited about the months to come. But you have to understand where I’m coming from. Sure, I’m worried about what my parents will think of me, even of you. But don’t you dare believe for one second that their opinion will change how I feel about this.” Evan pulled into the driveway of my childhood home, and I got out of the car quickly. He caught up with me on the porch, pulling my hand away from the doorbell.

“Mik, I’m so sorry. You’re right, I should have been more considerate of your feelings. I know that telling your mother this will completely shatter any hope that you still follow all of her beliefs, and that’s got to be hard for you to bear. I wish you would have really let me know what you’re going through earlier, so that I could hold some of the worry for you. If you don’t want to tell them just yet, then I understand. But if you decide to change your mind, then I’ll be right beside you, ready for anything your family might throw at us. I love you so much.” His apology brought tears to my eyes, and I kissed him softly before telling him that, of course, I loved him too. I rung the doorbell, Evan’s hand in mine, and took a deep breath just as the door opened.

5 comments:

  1. hi! i just found this blog and i LOVE it! great writing! cant wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty good. I can't wait until Evan finds out, that would be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good blog but why stop. This was just getting good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey hun, where are uuuuu? :p come backkkk!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hii! this blog was seriously just getting good. why'd you stop? hahah. wish i found this sooner! /:

    ReplyDelete