Wednesday, October 28, 2009

We Are Okay

“I’ve got your faaaavorite!” Evan’s voice rang through every inch of my apartment. After probably walking into all three rooms, I heard his footsteps coming closer to the kitchen archway. “You better not be making dinner, because I didn’t buy this pizza for… nothing…” his voice trailed off upon seeing me on the floor. “Oh my gosh, what’s wrong?” I didn’t answer. He spoke again, with more urgency in his voice. “Mik!?”

I giggled softly at his nickname for me, remembering the first time he said it. The little word just rolled off his tongue like he’d been calling my by it our entire lives.

“Hey Mik? Pizza or Chinese?”

I stared at him for a few seconds before answering. “Did you just call me ‘Mik’?”

“Absolutely,” he responded, looking at me like I was crazy. “Now, pizza or Chinese?”

“Uhhhh Chinese. But really? Mik?”

“You didn’t really expect me to call you ‘Mikayla’ forever, did you?”

“Well no, but I already have a nickname, in case you forgot.”

“I know, but everyone else calls you ‘Kayla.’ I needed a nickname that’s just mine,” he said simply, before turning his attention back to the take-out menu.


I couldn’t stop the gigantic grin that was currently making its way across my face. I like to think that’s when I knew that Evan wouldn’t be leaving my life anytime soon.

“Mikayla, are you okay?” he asked, snapping me out of my flashback.

“Uh, yeah,” I stammered. “Um, I… uh…”

“Mik, words,” he joked with a sparkle in his eye. God, I loved those eyes. I sighed, hesitant to respond.

“I’m…” Now or never. “I’m pregnant.” He was still for a moment before wrapping me in his arms and spinning around in my tiny kitchen.

“Oh my gosh, Mik! This is great!” I couldn’t help but smile at his response. Leave it to Evan to turn my bad situation around. Of course, he didn’t have any reason to believe that there was a bad situation in the first place. We stopped spinning and he set me down, grabbing my hands like he never wanted to let go. “Mik, you had me so terrified for a second. I thought something awful had happened. Gosh, why’d you scare me like that!?” A goofy grin is still plastered on his face. I don’t think it’ll ever go away. I can’t tell him. I’m not even sure the baby isn’t his! Why get him freaked out over something that might not even be true?

“Come on, Evan. My mom is going to FREAK.”

He laughed. “Is that it?”

No. No, Evan. A few weeks ago Brock came back. You remember Brock, right? Well, I slept with him. And a couple days later you and I had sex. So it’s a possibility that the baby belongs to my old tool of a boyfriend. Sorry!

“Yes…” He laughed again.

“We’re going to have a baby, and all you can think about is your mother?”

“Come on, Evan! You know my mother! She’s going to kill me!”

“Mik, she’s always going off about how she wants her favorite daughter to hurry up and get married so that she can have more grandchildren…”

“Yeah, from her married daughter! You know, after getting married first! We’re not married!”

“But we will be,” he reminded me, running his thumb across the diamond on my left hand.

“Yeah, but…” I started.

“We’re going to have a baby, Mikayla. A baby!” he interrupted. I could tell he was getting slightly annoyed. We were having a kid, and while he wanted to celebrate, I was just complaining about my mother.

“You’re right, Evan. We’re having a kid! Come on, let’s party!” His eyebrows clenched together even tighter. What did I say now?

“Dang it, I wish I would have known. I would have come over and whisked you away to the fanciest restaurant in the city, but instead I just brought you stupid pizza,” he explained, gesturing to my counter.

“Pizza?” I asked, my ears perking up. I heard him chuckle as I dashed over to look. Ooh, Papa Murphy’s. My favorite.

“One small chicken Alfredo for you, and a meat lover’s for me.”

“Evan, I’m not going to eat an entire pizza by myself.”

“Sure you will,” he replied, with that adorable twinkle reclaiming its place in his eye. “You’re eating for two now.”

I rolled my eyes and turned on the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment